This holiday season, we at Engage Together want to encourage you to consider how you can make a difference in your local community, right where you are, by blessing an organization, group, or family who may be in need. We’ve outlined some practical ways you can purchase gifts for families and children, get in touch with local organizations that can help you with this task, and how you can continue in the fight to end human trafficking through the power of your purchase, whether you’re buying gifts for the holiday season or throughout the year.
- Connect with your local social services, shelters, or foster care agencies to learn more about the needs of individuals and families both during this holiday season and into the new year.
- Contact your local children’s hospital to ask how you can bless a child who may be in the hospital over the holidays as well as the families who may have a child receiving care in the hospital during this time of year.
- Ask a school counselor at your local elementary, middle, or high school how you might be able to give to families in need in the school.
- Get in touch with your local church, civic club, or service club to see if they are organizing a holiday gift collection for the local community or have volunteer opportunities, either just for the holiday season or throughout the year.
As you buy gifts for family members, friends, and others, consider the power your purchases have and use it for good by buying from organizations that support survivors of human trafficking and stand for freedom.
- By purchasing Fair Trade products, such as coffee, chocolate, and more, you are taking a stand for workers’ rights and advocating for fair wages for farmers and workers. Take some time to learn more about what Fair Trade certification is and why it’s important, find what stores in your area sell Fair Trade products, and know what Fair Trade products you can look for.
- Freedom Businesses are part of a global alliance working to end human trafficking by addressing its economic roots. These businesses employ women who are survivors of human trafficking or who may be at-risk. Peruse these gift guides from the Freedom Business Alliance that include gifts for him, gifts for her, and gifts for the home as you finish your holiday shopping or even as you consider buying gifts for loved ones throughout the next year.
- Reference some of our holiday blogs and gift guides from previous years for more resources and gift giving ideas: Businesses That Bring Freedom; 6 Meaningful Ways to Engage This Holiday; Making Wishes Come True
- Share the information you learned about buying and giving gifts locally, Fair Trade products, and Freedom Businesses with someone in your community or network today!
Know this – there are souls in need in your community this holiday season and all throughout the year. And there are so many ways you can give to meet those needs – whether you give your time or tangibles. How about for this New Year’s resolution, we all make a commitment to be the one who proactively engages in our local communities by asking “what do you need” and commit to finding ways to say “yes”!